Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cupcake Baker of the Week: Rainy Williamson, The Great Little Cupcake Company




Looking for a way to use up some eggs from her farm and make a little extra money, UK mom Rainy Williamson turned to cupcakes. But Rainy didn’t just open a cupcake shop. She teaches decorating workshops to both children and adults; sells cake decorating accessories; operates an on-site cupcake bar for special events; and makes large wedding and event cakes, all made with organic/free range, fair trade, and locally sourced ingredients. Read on to find out how The Great Little Cupcake Company came to be. 

Name: Rainy Williamson
Location: Harwood, UK
  1. How did you get started baking cupcakes? 
    I have a little smallholding where I keep hens, ducks, quails and sometimes geese and turkeys. This gives me a lot of eggs that need using up. My youngest son was due to start school and I was looking for a way to generate a small income. I thought using the surplus eggs to make cupcakes was a good idea! Very soon I was sending cupcakes nationwide! 

  2. Do you have any formal training? 
    No. I’ve attended a few short private courses in specific cake decorating skills, but I am mostly self taught. I am a qualified teacher so I bring those skills when I’m leading workshops. 

  3. What other kinds of products do you offer at your shop? 
    As well as cupcakes I offer large wedding and celebration cakes, and all kind of bespoke gingerbread creations. I also retail cake decorating accessories. I also hold cake decorating parties for children as well as cupcake and cake decorating workshops for adults at my shop. 

  4. Do you have a signature cupcake, or a personal favorite? 
    My personal favorite has to be luscious lemon, made with my own homemade lemon curd. 

  5. What lead you to open your own business?
    I wanted to work for myself in a flexible way as I have two young children. I am also very passionate about food provenance and wanted to offer a product that was not mass produced. 

  6. You do workshops for both children and adults. What kinds of things are you teaching? Anything you'd like to add? 
    I teach how to decorate cupcakes; making buttercream and creating different swirls and piping techniques; how to make sugarpaste flowers and other sugarpaste decorations; how to use rolled fondant. I also teach techniques for large cakes. 

  7. I see you have a cupcake bar available for events. What kind of events do you usually do? 
    The cupcake bar is popular for commercial events such as product launches, business anniversaries and openings, as well as for wedding receptions, balls, and birthday parties. 

  8. What are the challenges to running a cupcake bar as opposed to delivering pre-made cupcakes?
    You never know what response you’re going to get from people! Thankfully it’s very positive. Sometimes the environment is difficult, i.e. if it’s too cold the buttercream gets too stiff to pipe and vice versa. The cupcake bar is also very time consuming as we generally have to arrive early to set up before the event begins, and then may not be needed again for another hour or two if the event involves the guests having a meal. 

  9. What is the best business advice you've ever gotten? 
    Do your books regularly and keep paperwork in order! 

  10. Any advice you wish someone had given you before you started? 
    Sourcing packaging. This has been very time consuming. 

  11. What’s the most difficult aspect of running your own business?
    Being all things - book keeper, baker, cake decorator, delivery person, marketing man, etc . As a small business you have to do everything and there will always be things that you don’t like - for me thats keeping the accounts! 

  12. Do you work with original recipes? How do you come up with those?
    I grow a lot of fruit and vegetables on my small holding and these influence my recipes.

    Baking is more of a science than other forms of cooking, as there are basics that you need to follow in order for a cake to work. I have a standard recipe that I use and then I regularly experiment with flavors. I don’t use fresh cream in my toppings. 

  13. How do you market yourself? 
    I drive a large van with graphics on showing my cakes. I do a lot of wedding fairs and similar events. I also have a website and sell through a third party market place website. I am also active on social media such as facebook and twitter. 

  14. How does social media play a role in your business? It’s early days for me on twitter. I find facebook great for showing images of my work. 

  15. Any goals for expanding your store? 
    I'd like to find larger premises to expand my workshops and cupcake parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment